Saturday, April 13, 2013

Kia Ora to all

Breaker Bay, at sunset
Kia Ora in the Māori language literally means "be well/be healthy", but it is used to just say "Hi.

I first must apologise for my very very long absence from Zahara Dessert. To be honest, I have been very busy doing not very much at all.

As you may already know, I am 8 weeks into ticking #41 off the Life List: 'Live and work overseas for a year' in lovely New Zealand.

So far Wellington has been very kind to us. We have had the most amazing weather and according to the locals, it has been the best Summer in more than 10 years. However the downside of this is that the North Island is now in drought, so we are waiting for the rain to come and help out the farmers who have been suffering.

The Pass of Branda (I love saying that out loud)
We are also very lucky to be living in one of the most beautiful parts of Wellington. We are surrounded by the Cook Straight and have the most amazing views from our house of Wellington Harbour. I have wasted many hours looking out our window and watching the Ferries and life pass by.

Our 'private' beach, behind our house (Oruaiti Reserve)
We are also blessed to be surrounded by the most spectacular stretches of coast line. No more than a 5 minute walk from our house we are on the beach at the Oruaiti Reserve, a rugged area surrounded by beach and tracks along a volcanic foreshore. The views from here are ever changing and I am yet to tire of the views (even when it is blowing the famous Wellington gale).

Seatoun Harbour on my daily dog walk
Although I am yet to find work, I really am enjoying being a 'lady of leisure'. A lot of my time has been taken up 'nesting' and trying to make our Kiwi rental feel like home.

...So all in all, life in New Zealand has been treating us very very well.

Our view
I really am looking forward to seeing where this amazing adventure will take us and what things I will be able to tick off the  Life List. As I have mentioned before, 2013 will be the year that I will achieve many of my Life List goals and I say 'bring it on'.

Breaker Bay
I hope you can follow me on my Kiwi journey...

[all images by Zahara Dessert]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Comments are very much appreciated!