Saturday, June 30, 2012

Very Windy Wellington

Ok so it is not New York... but it will do!


I went to visit husband in Wellington on the weekend and had a lovely time. I forgot how pretty Wellington is. Lonely Planet has called it the 'Coolest little capital in the world' and it truly is.

I stayed at the Museum Art Hotel which was a nice little boutique hotel right across the road from the waterfront and the Te Papa Museum. It is scattered with contemporary art throughout the hotel which is quite interesting and unique.

Obligatory walking away shot
Brunch at Floriditas was absolutely scrumptious and well worth a visit. I haven't had such yummy Poached eggs and bacon in a very long time and the coffee was also brilliant.

One thing we were not prepared for in Wellington was the wind. I know that it is called "Windy Wellington" for a reason, but we did not expect Gale Force winds that would knock you over if you weren't careful. But it added to the fun of it!

We went up to Mt Victoria in the gale force conditions and not surprisingly we didn't stay up there too long. But the view was lovely despite the wind and rain.

Mt Victoria

View of Wellington city from Mt Victoria


Husband and I waiting to go to dinner
 For dinner we went to Havana Bar after a friend recommended it and it was fantastic. The best tapas I have had in a very long time. The 'Slow Braised Short Rib of Beef with Celeriac and Horseradish' was the standout dish.

While we were there, I of course had to tackle #81 on the Life List - search for the perfect Margarita. The margarita was good... nice and simple. However not as fantastic as the one we had at Spice Market in New York.


Margarita at Havana Bar
I am looking forward to my next visit to husband, so I can tackle more restaurants and cafes in Cuba Street and discover Wellington some more.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you had a nice time despite the wind. Wellington on a good day is simply spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had an awesome time! Love the view of Wellington city, makes me want to leave Sydney at about.. now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it was lovely... am really looking forward to going back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara - finally made it over to say hello! Sorry it's taken me so long! :-)

    just love all the pictures - i have a love affair with NZ and think it is the most beautiful place in the world! Only been to Wellington for work so haven't really enjoyed the touristy side...I've heard so much about that hotel! Have you visited the Te Pa Pa museum yet? That's on my To Do list too! :-)

    Anyway, looking forward to catching up when I get back from Taiwan and Honey sends Ziggy some slobbers!

    Hsin-Yi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming for a visit. Yes we visited the museum when we were there on our Honeymoon and it was brilliant - but am looking fwd to going to visit it again next time I am there. I am also looking forward to our catch up when you are back

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. Comments are very much appreciated!