Saturday, April 28, 2012

#81: Search for the perfect Margarita Cocktail...Spice Market Ginger Margarita

Ever since I came back from our holiday in Los Angeles and New York, I have become obsessed with Margaritas. (It is strange as I don't even like tequila that much!)

Spice Market Ginger Margarita
[image by http://thewanderingeater.com]
While we were in Los Angeles, a Margarita somehow became my pre dinner apéritif.

The original Margarita recipe consists of tequila, Cointreau and lime juice, but over the years people have added their own spin to this recipe.

I know that this Life Life challenge is about finding the perfect Margarita, however I think the one we had at the Spice Market restaurant in New York, is as 'prefect' as I have found in my search so far.

I have been dying to re create the Spice Market Ginger Margarita since we came home and to my surprise I found the recipe very easily online.

So I thought I would share it with you.

The cocktail is very easy to make and the end drink I think is just divine.

The only fiddly thing is making the Ginger syrup, but once you make it, you can keep it in the fridge and pour it over ice cream or yogurt.

Zahara Dessert's spin on the Spice Market Ginger Margarita (Makes 1 serving)
For the Ginger Lime Syrup
1 cup of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced 1 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup sugar

In a small saucepan, combine the ginger, lime juice and sugar and bring to a boil.
Boil for about 2-5 minutes. Let it cool then puree the soft ginger in a blender.
Pour the puree into a fine strainer and press the ginger to extract as much syrup as possible.
Store in an air tight container in the fridge until you need to use it.

For the Margarita
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons salt
Ice
3 tablespoons añejo tequila (or whatever good tequila you can afford)
1 1/2 tablespoons of Ginger Lime Syrup
1 tablespoon Cointreau
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1 lime wedge, for garnish

On a plate, mix the ground ginger and salt.
Slightly moisten the rim of a margarita glass with water and dip the rim in the ginger salt to coat.

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
Add the tequila, Ginger-Lime Syrup, Cointreau and lime juice and shake well.
Strain the drink into the margarita glass, garnish with the lime wedge and serve.

Celebrating my Brother in Law's 30th Birthday (with Ginger Margaritas) at the Spice Market in New York City [image by Zahara Dessert]
 Spice Market
403 W13th Street,
New York

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Comments are very much appreciated!