Sunday, March 4, 2012

#74/76: 500 days of summer in Los Angeles

I really like Los Angeles.

There is something about the city that I love. If you look close enough, I think you see a beauty that isn't often associated with LA. Yes it is a bit dodgy in parts, but I think it has a hidden charm which I really find fascinating.

[image by Zahara Dessert]

This past December, we visited for 4 days on our way to New York and I fell in love in LA even more. Husband also really liked LA, which was a bonus.

We stayed at the Roosevelt which was right in the middle of Hollywood. It still has an old Hollywood vibe about the place [image by Zahara Dessert]

Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel foyer [image by Zahara Dessert]

Santa Monica watching over the beach [image by Zahara Dessert]


[image by Zahara Dessert]

Santa Monica pier [image by Zahara Dessert]

Palms in Beverly Hills [image by Zahara Dessert]
 
Sunset at The Getty Museum gardens [image by Zahara Dessert]
The most surprising find was the Getty Museum.

We visited it after a friend recommended we had to go there. The minute we arrived we kicked ourselves for not planning our visit properly and not leaving enough time there.

The museum itself houses one of the most amazing collections of pre 20th century European paintings, drawings and sculptures, as well as including some great contemporary exhibitions.

The gardens are an art work in itself and the architecture of building is breath taking. When I was in the museum, I didn't know what to look at first, the art work or the design of the rooms and surrounds.

 The Getty Museum view of the Pacific Ocean [image by Zahara Dessert]

This is why #76 of the Life List is 'Go back to the Getty museum in Los Angeles'. I want to spend a whole day here, taking everything in that I missed when we first visited.

I also want to go see the Getty Villa in Malibu, as it also looks like is is worth a visit.
 

Another thing I want to do in LA is visit the park bench featured in the movie '500 Days of Summer'.
I wasn't a massive fan of the film, but I was fascinated by the view of Tom's bench.
 
In the movie Tom says that the bench is his favorite place in all of Los Angeles to view of some of Downtown’s most historically significant buildings (and car parks).

I want to discover this side of Downtown LA's architecture, a lot of which you wouldn't associate LA with.


We also never made it to the Griffith Observatory. I have always wanted to go here after seeing it in the James Dean movie, Rebel without a Cause.




This is why #74 on my Life List is 'Go to the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles'.

So all up, I want to visit Los Angeles again very soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Comments are very much appreciated!